What do you care about? Public schools? Safe use of firearms? Good jobs? Affordable health care for everyone? The leaders you elect make decisions that affect you and the issues you care about. Voting is your chance to choose the decision makers. YOUR VOTE MATTERS!

In Great Bend and Barton County, Kansas, the local election office is an important resource for voters. This office handles the following, among other responsibilities:

  • Voter registration database for Barton County
  • Reports about voter registration and votes cast
  • Election Preparation
  • Requirements for Voter Registration
  • Visit the Barton County Election Office at www.bartoncounty.org

Register to Vote

Until further notice, LWV recommends using the federal voter registration application.

See also:
The Kansas Secretary of State’s website guides you through each step of the Kansas election process.

Kansas VoterView and VoteKS.org provide information on registering to vote, polling places, and upcoming election dates.

Are You Registered to Vote?

Check your voter registration status.

Since implementation of Kansas’ S.A.F.E. Act in January 2013, many who have attempted to register to vote did not complete the process, usually by failing to show proof of citizenship documentation. These would-be-voters were put on a “suspense list.” If you registered to vote on or after January 1, 2013, yet you don’t show up on the voter rolls, please call your county clerk or election officer to find out why.

Cast Your Vote

Evaluate the candidates: How do you go about comparing and judging the candidates?

This seven step guide is designed to help you judge a candidate.

Decide when and how you will cast your ballot. Making a plan helps you identify scheduling or logistical problems in advance and gives you time to work around barriers to get to the polls.

  • Want to vote in advance?
    Vote by mail: Request a ballot be sent to your home by completing this advance ballot application. Find the details on your county election website. I want to vote in person:In all counties, you may vote in person at a special location before election day. The dates for in-person advance voting vary by county so go to your county election website to read the details.
  • Vote on election day.
    Most people vote in person on election day. All polling locations are open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.Know where your polling place is located. You must vote at the polling place designated for your address and this location may change with each election.  Always check your polling location before going to the polls.See a sample ballot. You may be able to see a sample ballot before voting. Check your county election website to see if this option is available.Bring your photo ID. In Kansas, you must show a photo ID at the polls.
    Only certain forms of photos ID are accepted at the polls. These are the original acceptable photo IDs mentioned in the law but more IDs have now been deemed acceptable. Here are examples of some of the acceptable IDs.If you forget your ID, you can vote a provisional (paper) ballot. But you must then show your photo ID at the election office before the county canvas.

    If there are any problems or questions about your eligibility to vote, request a provisional ballot. You will be told if you need to take further action before the county canvas. You will also be given a phone number to call to check if your vote was counted. Read more about casting provisional ballots.

Have additional questions?


What if I don’t have an acceptable photo ID?
You can obtain a free non-driver photo ID. Complete this non-driver ID form and submit it along with proof of identity and proof of residence to the Kansas Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicles.

My current address does not match my photo ID.  Is that a problem?
No. Your photo ID is simply used for face identification and matching your name.

You should update your voter registration if you move. Use this registration form or online registration. If you try to vote without updating your registration with your new address, you will be asked to vote a provisional ballot at your new polling place.

My name doesn’t match my photo ID.  Is that a problem?
Yes. Your photo ID is used to verify your face and name. If you have had a name change, you must update your voter ID before voting. Your photo ID may be accepted if your first name is a variation of your voter registration name (i.e. “Bill” instead of “William”). However if it is substantially different, or if your last name is changed, you will be offered a provisional ballot.

When the county election official does the election canvass, your vote will not be counted if they cannot verify that you were registered under your current name.

I recently moved. Do I vote in my new polling place or my old one?
If you have moved within 30 days of the election, you can vote at your old voting place with a regular ballot. If you have moved within the same county, even if is longer than 30 days, you may also vote at your new polling place with a provisional ballot.

When you vote at the wrong polling place, the only votes that will be counted are the ones common to both ballots.