The League of Women Voters of Kansas registers voters and encourages active participation in the democratic process.

Help with voter registration

Kansas residents who registered to vote on or after January 1, 2013, should verify their status by checking the database at If your name is not on the roll, please contact your local election office.

LWVK recommends everyone use the Federal Voter Registration Application.


Having problems registering to vote or trying to vote? LWVK can help.
The new voter registration laws can be confusing. If you are having problems navigating the system, either registering or voting, the League would like to hear your story. We are serious about protecting every citizen’s right to vote. We will help you or find someone with answers. We will also advocate for changes needed to streamline the process. Please tell us your story.



Am I registered to vote?  You should receive a voter card in the mail when your registration is official.  You can also check your registration online.

I completed my registration but I’m not on the voter list.  What should I do?

I was born in Kansas.  How do I get a free copy of my birth certificate?
Complete this affadavit form and this request for a certified copy of your birth certificate.

I was not born in Kansas. How do I obtain an out of state birth certificate? Find your state’s contact information on the National Center for Health Statistics website and follow the instructions.

I don’t have any of the 13 acceptable citizenship documents or the added ones.  What do I do?
Request consideration by the state election board.

I have recently married or divorced so my name doesn’t match my citizenship papers.  What do I do?  Show/send a copy of your marriage license to your county election office along with your registration form or sign an affidavit of citizenship.

When are the dates for this year’s elections and related deadlines? The dates and deadlines for this year’s elections are in this guide to voting.

Do I have to register with a party? No. You may register with a party (Democrat, Republican, or Libertarian) or be “unaffiliated,” without a party.

Can I change my party registration at the polls?  If you are registered as a Democrat, Republican or Libertarian and want to change parties, you must make that change before June 1.  If you are unaffiliated and want to vote in the primary election, you must declare a party affiliation at the polls in order to vote.  In the general election, all parties share the same ballot so no party declaration is needed at the polls.

I have moved.  Do I need to cancel my Kansas voter registration?  You should cancel your registration to keep the voter rolls accurate. Your registration will eventually be cancelled when election mailings are returned and you fail to vote in several general elections – but it can take several years. Send your county election office a signed and dated card or letter stating that you wish to be removed from the voter rolls in that county. Include your name and the address where you were registered.

I am moving back to Kansas and want to register to vote again.  Do I need to prove that I am a citizen?  If your previous Kansas voter registration occurred on or after January 1, 2013, you showed documentary proof of citizenship and do not need to show it again. If you have never shown citizenship documentation (i.e. you were registered to vote before January 1, 2013), then you must prove citizenship when registering to vote.

I want to register to vote but I do not want my name and address to be publicly available.  What do I do?  If you “…specify a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy or a threat to the voter’s safety,” you can write to your county election officer and request that your residence address be concealed from public inspection on the voter registration list and on the original voter registration application form. [K.S.A. 25-2309 (i)]

Also, if you are a victim of domestic violence, you can enroll in the “Safe at Home” program and shield your address in all your forms of government identification.

Having problem registering?